Pages

Wednesday 2 October 2013

Chocolate Chip Cookie Crisps - An Accidental, Buttery, Delicious Recipe


Many professional chefs and cooking contest winners admit their recipes came about by accident. Though I'm not a chef or contest winner, I accidentally invented a cookie recipe and it's screamingly delicious. I made the cookies for my twin grandkids who were coming home from college. College students love chocolate chip cookies, so these are the ones I made.
I bought the chocolate chips from a farm store, of all places, and was surprised to see the cookie recipe wasn't on the package. Since I have about 100 cookbooks, I turned to my favorites, and read the chocolate chip cookie recipes. The recipes were all similar and I decided to use one in The Pillsbury Complete Cook Book, published in 2000. It's a basic recipe.
Though I planned to use half butter and half shortening, when I checked my cupboard I realized I was out of shortening. All butter it would be. I love vanilla so I doubled the amount called for and also added extra chocolate chips. My grandkids don't like nuts that much so I didn't add any. Apparently I wasn't paying attention when I measured the flour because the dough was loose and spread quickly in the oven.
Soon the smell of baking cookies wafted through the house -- a small that lured my granddaughter from her bedroom. I could see the baking cookies through the oven window and wondered if I had wasted good money on bad cookies. My worries were for naught. The cookies were so delicious I couldn't believe it. "We'll call them chocolate chip crisps," I told my granddaughter.
She bit into a cookie and almost swooned. My husband's reaction was "Wow!" Later in the day my daughter stopped by and, as soon as she saw the cookie container, decided to sample one. One cookie became two. Two cookies became three. If we hadn't been going out for dinner she would have probably eaten a fourth. Here's my recipe for Chocolate Chip Cookie Crisps. I think you'll love them as much as we do.

Ingredients
3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 cup soft butter
2 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 large egg, room temperature
1 1/4 cups (approximate) all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt (may be omitted)
1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips

Method
Heat the oven to 375 degrees. Cream the brown sugar, granulated sugar, butter, vanilla extract, and egg together in a large mixing bowl. Add flour, baking soda, and salt, working in these ingredients with a wooden spoon. Add chocolate chips and continue to work with a wooden spoon until the chips are evenly distributed. Coat a cookie sheet with baking spray. Drop batter (slightly rounded teaspoons-full) onto cookie sheet, leaving two inches between each cookie. Bake for about 10 minutes, or until the edges start to brown, and the centers are slightly soft. Remove cookies from oven and cool one minutes before taking them off the baking sheet. Store in air-tight container. Makes 3 1/2-4 dozen buttery, delicious cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment